No matter where you stand on the health issues our country is facing, it is a fact that having good nutrition is crucial to having a strong immune system! Having a strong immune system will help to protect you against seasonal illnesses like the flu or Coronavirus. Follow these 5 tips to support a healthy immune system.
- EXERCISE! Research shows that people who exercise consistently have fewer sore throats, headaches, and fevers than people who exercised one or fewer times per week.
- SLEEP! Research shows that people who sleep less than 7 hours per night are 3 times more likely to develop a cold than people sleeping an average of 8 hours per night.
- WHOLE FOODS! Balancing your diet with lots of fruits and veggies is great for your immune system. According to research, there is a correlation between increased consumption of fruits and veggies and an increase in immune response. What foods should you be eating?
- Protein: seafood, lean meat, poultry, eggs, beans, peas, nuts and seeds.
- Vitamin A: sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, spinach, red bell peppers, apricots and eggs.
- Vitamin C: oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, red bell pepper, papaya, strawberries and tomatoes.
- Vitamin E: sunflower seeds, almonds, vegetable oils, hazelnuts, peanut butter and fortified cereals.
- Zinc: lean meats, poultry, seafood, milk, beans, seeds, nuts and whole grain products.
- HYDRATION! No better time to get your 60-80oz of water in. Drinking enough water fights off infection and increases immunity, according to research. It also helps your body to eliminate any toxins or bacteria that can lead to sickness.
- MINDSET MATTERS! According to some research, individuals with significant stress (lasting for a month or more) in their lives are five times more likely to develop a cold. Keeping a positive attitude if you are sick can help you experience milder symptoms.
Stay safe and healthy out there!